Sunday, May 2, 2010

Blake the Bully

Tears found my eyes as I drove home from church with my little bully in the back seat. Its a conversation that no mom wants to have with the caretaker of their child, "Blake pushed down every child, and was throwing toys."

I guess I can honestly say that I am not surprised. He learned to throw a few weekends ago, a milestone, and a skill that every quarterback will need, but not a desired habit for inside. And certainly NOT one that you want for a 2 year old to be doing at another child out of anger or rage. We have known for a while that Blake has his fathers temper. A temper that has mellowed significantly since Blake was born but still a temper that flairs none the less. As far as the pushing down of other kids... I have no idea. I have seen him hit his little brother on a few occasions, mostly linked to him not getting his way. I feel as though if this keeps up, we will not be able to attend church anymore, or other functions where he will hurt other kids.

He honestly and completely broke my heart. Not my child. My child wouldn't hit another. I think its one of those things that you think your kids wont do. I thought I had taught him better then that. Apparently not. On some level I feel as I have failed as a parent. BUT, I cannot dwell on that. I must fix this! Some research must be done. I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTINUE!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda:( You are NOT a failure! I am sorry Blake had a bad day.. I'll pray you find a way to help him control his temper. (and then tell me how because Silas has his father's temper too!)

    *hugs* we are here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would highly recommend Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys." I kid you not, I thought there was something wrong with Trevor when he was 2-3 years old, until I read this book. I received it as a Christmas gift, and it opened my eyes to boyhood. If you're comfortable with this, tell the nursery workers they have permission to sit him in a corner for a couple minutes whenever it happens. That might help. Don't not come to church bc of this. He'll learn, and if he knows he can't get away with it in the nursery & mommy will find out, he'll learn very quickly!
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey, Do you still have that book? If so, can I borrow it?

    ReplyDelete